(to serve 4 pax):
4 chicken breasts, part boned with skin on
2 tablesp. olive oil
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
3cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 teasp. each of cumin and coriander seeds
5 cardamom pods, cracked open and seeds removed (pods discarded)
400ml tin of low fat coconut milk
Juice of 2 limes
1 bunch of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Put the oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken and fry until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic and chillies to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and allow them to cook for a minute or two.
- Grind the dry spices to a powder in a pestle and mortar. Add to the tomato mixture and cook for a minute.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan along with the browned chicken breasts. Season and simmer for 30 minutes, turning occasionally until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the lime juice and basil leaves just before serving.